Wednesday, April 27, 2011

I may have bitten off more than I can chew...

I have been behind on posting & for very good reason.


Rocky is doing fabulous! His one tumor-looking growth is nearly undetectable. His obscured eye seems to be getting better, too! No interest on him yet, but we are scheduled to bring him to 2 events where he will get some great exposure (thanks to his Hound Gear vest). Saturday, April 30th is the Pawz for Japan fundraiser & Saturday, May 7th is the annual Anti-Cruelty Bark in the Park. I'm very excited about both!

Last Thursday, I attended a special informational session at Chicago Animal Care & Control about Safe Humane's Court Case program & volunteering at the shelter. I made the mistake of taking the 'tour' of one of the court case pavilions. Pavilion F & G are where court case dogs go & remain until a rescue pulls them. I saw this BEAUTIFUL, 6 month old, indescribably colored, young female pittie with a bandage on her hind leg. Her coloring, we now know, is called blue fawn. A divider separated her small space from her pure blue brother. This sweet girl was limping around in her excrement & the look in her eyes was that of looming depression. Her cage card said that she & her brother were abandoned in an apartment. They shouldn't even have been 'court case dogs' because there was no one charged! Of course, I went home that night & could think of nothing else, so I planned to visit her the next day & get her out of her cage for some fresh air & human contact. 

Scary car ride!
When I returned on Friday, I was saddened to see she was in the exact same filth that she was in the day before. I took her out of her cage on Friday, April 22nd & never looked back. She spent a little time at work with me where she was a big hit & then we headed home.    
Chillin' under the desk on some BDUs


A puppy is alot of work. 2 puppies is INSANE! Maybe 2 puppies that are super young & fit in the palm of your hand are easier. But these 2 lugs at about 30 lbs a piece... not so much.




Mocha's 1st night home
                                        There have been a few 'explosive' potty training accidents & a bit of chaos for the first few days, & even a few domestics. But at the end of every night, when we are all cuddled up on the couch, the look of love & gratitude in Mocha & Rocky's eyes are worth all of it. These 2 cuddle up several times a day & my heart swells. Their ability to love & forgive is amazing. Our few days of annoyance or aggravation equals a future & a lifetime of love for these deserving babies. 
Ying & Yang


Mocha's injury is minor. We are getting a splint for the leg this week & she should heal without a problem. Rocky gets neutered tomorrow & Mocha gets spayed next week. We are already meeting a potential adopter for Mocha tomorrow (fingers crossed). She will move into her forever home quickly as her different coloring makes her unique. People love the unique ones! Rocky met a man on a walk the other day who recognized his value despite his odd look & expressed interest in adopting... I am anxiously hoping he gives us a call!

                                    "The Rescuer's Creed"

I promise I will take your unwanted animals.
I will heal their wounds, their diseases, their broken bones.
I will give them the medical attention they need and deserve.
I will nurture their starvation, and give them a warm place to sleep.
I will spay and neuter them, vaccinate them against the diseases that can harm them.
I will treat them and honor them.
I will buy them toys, blankets, balls, and teach them to play.
I will speak softly to them.
I will try to teach them not to fear, not to cry, and not to hate.
I will whisper sweet, kind, gentle words into their ears, while gently trying to stroke their fear, their pain, and their scars away.
I will face their emotional scars and give them time to overcome them.
I will socialize them, potty train them, teach them to be obedient, show them dignity, and hold their paws, and stroke their ears if they have endured too much and walk them over the Rainbow Bridge,
BUT most of all I will teach them Love.
~Author unknown


No comments:

Post a Comment