Sunday, May 29, 2011

9 Dogs in 1 year!

A lot has happened in the past month!  As we knew would happen, Mocha (now renamed Luna) was basically adopted within 2 weeks.  Our quickest yet!  We did savor her for an additional week, as we wanted to make sure she progressed with use of her broken hind leg. 

Before we left for Vegas, there was some interest in Rocky, but nothing solid as of yet.  He was lucky enough to board at Animal Care Center in the west loop where he played beautifully with the big dogs!  The little ones, not so much. 

Also, before Vegas, we were finally approved for IVF by the insurance review board!  It's funny, we were so stressed & focused for so long about not getting approved, now that we have been, it's almost anti-climactic.  I know I say that now, but of course, the end result will all be worth it.  In the meantime, we keep scheduling that '1 more vacation' before life as we know it changes forever.

Vacation got off to a bad start (missed flight), but the minute we checked in, it became the best Vegas vacation either of us have had to date.  Even a decent win on our last day!  It was so amazing, we are already booking our next one in October.  I may be a couple spins away from Gambler's anonymous (that wheel of fortune machine sucks me in every time!!!).

Upon our return, we met someone that was a perfect fit for our sweet Rocky.  Like Stella, he stayed with us for the longest period, 2 months.  He went to live with his new human dad today, where he will get to sleep in the big bed every night.  I am certain he already likes his new home!  He has also been renamed Winky.  I giggle every time I say it, but it is definitely a fitting name.  I look forward to hearing about progress with his medical needs & about his new adventures as part of a forever family.

Strangely, I am sitting here in a quiet, clean house.  We cannot remember the last time there has only been us & the 2 beagles.  I will enjoy the moment, because we know it won't last long!

This past week marked the 1 year anniversary of our 1st foster, Meaty's adoption.  May 25, 2010.  We look back on our first year of fostering & are proud of our accomplishments.  9 dogs in 1 year.  We have learned a lot about each other, and even more about the will & resilience of shelter dogs.  All 9 dogs have a place in our hearts & keep us motivated to move forward in our efforts.  I hope we can increase our number each year!
I HAVE DONE SOMETHING
    
I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter...the cast-offs of human society.

I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness, and betrayal. And I was angry.

"God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?"

God was silent for a moment, and then He spoke softly, "I have done something," he replied. "I created you."

-- Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment