Monday, January 10, 2011

Canine Hierarchy

Not having dogs until my adult years, I didn't know much about pack mentality & canine hierarchy. It has become pretty fascinating to me.

The dog I've had the longest is Bella, the 7 year old beagle mix (that looks like an italian greyhound). She is a petite 19 lbs. on legs like stilts. She has been the alpha or 'top dog' in our home for the past 3 years, since Charlie (my senior beagle) passed away. Buddy, our 45+ lb. male beagle is 2nd in command. It's amusing to watch Bella put him in his place. Any foster that comes into our home learns quickly that Bella is in charge & that Buddy is her enforcer. All but 1 foster has succeeded in this realization.

Lexi is a typical puppy. She likes to antagonize & force the other dogs to give her attention, even if it's negative. LeRoy has bonded the most with Lexi, as I said before, it's as if he realizes they are the same breed. This weekend, Lexi was trying to get Bella to play with her. Bella gave her warning 'snap' & lucky for her I was sitting on the floor with LeRoy. This was the first time I'd seen him show his teeth (what is left of them anyway) & lunged towards Bella. LeRoy has become Lexi's protector. I can appreciate that. I would love for them to get adopted together.

Lexi is quite the pistol lately. On her twice daily walks, she had decided when we put her down (unleashed), she is going to walk 'home'. Even if we are nowhere near the house, she just turns & starts walking the other way. Our walks are now dictated by her. Whichever direction she walks, we follow, and continue until we make it home. I am getting quite the workout thanks to Lexi.

LeRoy experienced his first overnighter in the big, human bed. It took a little while for him to understand the concept, but settled in perfectly for the entire night & well into the morning. He is becoming less dependent on us & starting to explore on his own, as well as follow the other dogs. We will be sad to see him leave for his 4-6 week training camp on Friday, but also can't wait to see what he becomes!  I am ecstatic to report that I received a call from a vet tech where LeRoy had his oral surgery.  She has someone that may be interested in the big blue boy!!!  My heart melts at the thought.  The husband... well, I believe he got a bit choked up as he said  'you mean he might not come back to us after training'?  As hard as it can be, it's our ultimate goal; to find the perfect home & save another.

A big thank you to my Aunt Anne who gave us a ton of dog food & treats for our fosters! & a thank you to my mom & dad who delivered the goods & visited last night.
I ran to the garage to get bottled water for their ride home. I asked, 'are you guys okay with LeRoy?'. They said yes. I found out today that when I left, my dad said to my mom... 'don't make any sudden moves'!!! I see I have to work on my dad's pitbull perception a little more...



here is a pic of LeRoy attempting to fit in the 'small dog' snuggle bed.


'The more I see of man, the more I like dogs'.

2 comments:

  1. All you blogs make me tear up at some point. Not because they're sad...I'm just sensitive and everything that 'touches' me makes me cry. LeRoy is beautiful and seems totally adoptable. Every time I see pictures I want to get Meaty a brother! (The picture of Lexi chewing his ear and the one of him trying to fit in that little bed it priceless!) Oh.. and even though Meaty loves every dog..he gets SUPER SUPER excited when he sees a bully bread. They TOTALLY know when it's one of their kind. Amazing!
    Please let me know if you ever need me to come by and take professional pictures of the dogs.. maybe it will help with finding a home for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless you Jolie for your offer of taking professional pictures. We will definitely take you up on that! Can't wait to make plans to see you, Vince & Meaty soon!

    ReplyDelete