Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Meaty Monster!!!

Our first experience with fostering a pitbull (and our first experience with a pitbull period) was one that we will never forget.


 After my third & last miscarriage, I received a mass email about a dog needing a foster family in order to receive a necessary surgery. Meaty was found as a stray & sat in the shelter for 2 months with his leg/hip injury. Sight unseen (besides the picture shown above), I said 'we will take him'.  I wish I had a dollar for everytime my hubby has said 'I don't think this is a good idea...' (from the first foster up until our now 7th foster).  Around this time, I became engrossed with the shows Pit Boss & Pitbulls & Parolees.  We both now watch it pretty religiously.  

We went & picked up Meaty from Animal Arc. Possibly the most professional animal clinic we had ever seen. There seemed to be owners with pitbulls at every turn. Meaty was allowed to roam the office free with a few other well behaved patients. We found out his best friend had become a chihuahua in his weeklong stay. My husband sat on the floor to greet this 60lb compact boy of pure muscle when the technician brought him out to us. As I watched the 'I don't think this is a good idea' look in his eyes, this clumsy grey pitbull limped right up to my husband & gave him a big, wet smooch! It was love at first sight.

Meaty rehabilitated with us for almost 2 months. He went from completely carrying his hind leg to using it almost completely. Whatever this boy's history had been, he had forgotten & moved on. We often threatened to find new homes for the beagles, as Meaty was often showing them up by his perfect, gentlemanly behavior. Meaty went with us to family parties and was quite a hit at a couple of the local watering holes my husband is known to frequent. Everyone that met Meaty was shocked that a pitbull could be so sweet. He is a true ambassador of the breed.

Being our first foster, we were overly cautious in picking a family for this amazing boy. Jolie & Vince are the perfect family. As much as we miss him at times, I often say, 'I want to come back as Meaty in my next life'. It is people like them that make this process so complete & fulfilling. He is truly a part of their family. I look forward to keeping in touch with them & seeing the endless beautiful pictures of Meaty that his new family takes... he gets to go to dog parks, the beach, street festivals, family functions & ugly sweater parties, just to name a few. This dog has 'the life'. I can't think of another dog that deserves such royalty. He is treated like the prince he is!


Meaty will always have a place in our hearts. Part of the adoption agreement is that if the adoptive owners must relinquish their dog at any time, they are to contact us to take them. We will welcome with open arms ANY of our prior fosters to date, but especially this Meaty moose!







                                                              Famous Pitbulls in history:


*Petey-from the Little Rascals
*Dakota-Search & rescue for Space Shuttle Columbia
*Sir Thomas- Helen Keller's pitbull
*Popsicle- US Custom's #1 Canine

*Sgt. Stubby- World War I Hero

'Punish the DEED, not the BREED'.

6 comments:

  1. Yes..crying again:-) Meaty is SO special. We are SO lucky and we truly owe it to you or he would've never found his way to us. He is my baby boy (he cuddles in our arms at night and he even goes to work with me every day too!) Ambassador of the Breed is a perfect description. Everywhere we go, he is constantly winning over the hearts and minds of people who pre-judge him and his breed. Even with other dogs who bully him around...he's a true gentleman and his demeanor is so impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so nice of you to foster animals! I do as well and I know how hard (both exhausting and heartbreaking and expensive) it can be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im so glad that Jolie and Vince got Meaty. Now our Molly (our bassett hound) has a best friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are an awesome person and doing wonderful things. You did a great job making Meaty into a well adjusted, happy little boy. I know him, personally.... and you are the angel responsible for his being here today. THANK YOU ! ! ! !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, such a bittersweet blog. Thanks for sharing so much. It really does help to do that and receive support back! Wonderful things do happen to wonderful people. Wishing you magic & happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic post! Really moving. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete