Tuesday, January 11, 2011

I can't save them all....

Today I had planned on talking about our first foster, Meaty.
But a sequence of events in my day has caused my focus to shift & weighs heavy on my heart.

While proudly showing photos of Lexi & LeRoy, a co-worker told me about a dog they found in an abandoned house yesterday. They said she was about a year old pitbull & so emaciated, she couldn't even stand up. They fed her some rice & she was grateful. My heart sank. I said that I would bring my 'emergency' kit (I usually carry a leash, dog food/treats & a blanket in my car at all times) tomorrow & we would go get her. About 15 minutes later, my emotions got the best of me & I asked the guys to go there with me to rescue her immediately. I would just use my belt as a leash/collar. I knew I would do what it takes to get this poor soul to the shelter.

It's days like this I wish I would have had my camera with me (I should add it to my kit!). From the time the guys left yesterday to today, savages had stripped this place. The water heater, the furnace, the copper, the bathroom & kitchen fixtures were all gone. There was water flooding the floor & all 4 burners were blazing on the stove. Unfortunately, the pup was nowhere to be found. There was dog excrement everywhere, a couple of empty cans of Alpo & a leash, but no dog. I hope for the best for her, but expect the worst. At the very least, I would have liked to get her to the shelter for a warm kennel, some human & canine contact & a good meal before she would more than likely be humanely euthanized. No dog deserves a painful, slow death from starvation & the elements. Most dogs in this situation are likely to fall victim to torture, abuse & injury or death.

Most of my co-workers feel that taking a stray dog to 27th & Western is a last resort. I used to think the same. But now I beg to differ. Many of the dogs we bring in are friendly, well cared for & more than likely, being missed by someone. They deserve the chance to be checked for a micro-chip or to be reclaimed by their loving owner. I can appreciate the fact that we don't want to see them put in a kennel at the shelter. It is misconception that the shelter euthanizes every pit that walks in the door. In recent years, it was the court case dogs that were deemed unadoptable. Thanks to programs like Safe Humane Chicago, these dogs are tested, trainined & given another chance at life. A dog will only be euthanized if it's human aggressive (that's a given) & if it's chances to be adopted diminish- due to old age, medical problems, etc. and to make room for the many dogs coming through those doors on a daily basis.
Chicagoland rescues go to the shelter weekly & pull dogs into their programs. The pure breds & puppies have the highest chances. You will rarely see a beagle, a rottweiler, or a labrador, for example, sitting at the shelter. But the pit bulls are the majority breed sitting in kennels at Chicago Animal Care & Control & I am proud to say that we have dedicated our efforts to saving them. One (or two) at a time!

Tonight I will give extra love to our fosters & furevers as I think of the many dogs around the city that will be cold, hungry & await help that may never come.
LeRoy has gained 5 lbs in his week with us & has a potential adopter is coming to meet him Thursday night.

'The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's.'

No comments:

Post a Comment