Monday, January 3, 2011

Happy New Year!

I created this blog about a month ago.  I've been wanting to start it for some time & have procrastinated long enough.  Tonight I was inspired when I saw the 6pm news.  7 people in Maywood arrested for dog fighting ( Maywood dog fighting ring ) and my stomach turned. 

A little history on my love affair with my canine companions... I didn't grow up with dogs.  Huge allergies in the household (not me! well, not until my later adult years anyway).  When talking to my grandmother the other day, she told me that even as young as toddler age, I was drawn to animals.  Including the German Shepherd that bit me in the head when I was 3 years old (I do NOT remember this, of course).  The second I moved out at 20 years old, I went out & got a cat.  The second I bought my first house, I went to a pet store & bought a yellow Labrador retriever.  If only I'd known then what I know now!  A few years later came my first rescue of a shelter dog and it basically hasn't stopped since. 

I'd like to share some of those stories in the hopes of raising awareness of ADOPTING a puppy, dog, kitten, cat or any other animal from a shelter or rescue group!!!  And that's just the tip of the iceberg.  If I can change ONE person's perception of pit bulls (and I think we have already changed a few to date), then I have accomplished what I set out to do!  In my posts, you will find that my husband & I weren't always the APBT's biggest fans.  But all it took was one.  And that special boy is my profile pic!  (thanks to Jolie images  for the infinitely gorgeous photos, each one better than the last!).

'My goal in life is to be as good of a person that my dogs already think I am'.

1 comment:

  1. Great first blog!!! Can't wait to read more! I love to see how you ended up with all the Pit Bull rescues. I hope more people come to understand this sweet misunderstood breed too.

    ReplyDelete